Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.
History of Garrafrauns Old Chapel
 Garrafrauns in the 1700’s  would have been associated with the ancient parish of Addrigoole and the centre of worship would have been in a simple building at Aggrigoole grave yard. As already indicated Addrigoole was mentioned in 1306 as one of the parishes whose tithes supported the chapter of the archdiocese of Tuam. This chapel probably fell into disrepair during the early penal times when the celebration of mass was forbidden. However later in the 1700’s the laws against religion were slightly relaxed and one priest was allowed to serve in a parish provided he registered with the authorities.
 Around 1770 a church or chapel was constructed in Garrafrauns village replacing the derelict building at Addrigoole. Only Protestant houses of prayer were permitted to use the title church.

Old Chapel c. 1930Old Chapel c. 1930This church or chapel as it was known locally was built by a local stonemason, Dan Gleeson of Cloondalgin using sandstone quarried in  Shanballymore. As was the norm for the times the chapel was cruciform in shape.  In common with most of the domestic dwellings of the locality the roof was thatched and the interior was whitewashed and wainscoted.  Sometime in the 1800’s the thatch was replaced by slates. These slates were later used on Finnegan’s shop at Gurteen Cross. As the ruins of the church indicate the windows were of gothic design.

Old Chapel Yard 2012Old Chapel Yard 2012

Most of the congregation stood or knelt at the rear of the church on the bare flagstones which were known as the "cosa fuara". Only the “well to do” could afford the privilege of sitting on a seat. Furniture was sparse in the church, which contained 3 rows of pews. It cost 7 shillings per annum to rent a pew while a row of seats could be rented for 5 “half crowns”. Families sometimes shared the cost of a seat. Some people who provided materials such as sand or stones used in the construction of the church were granted a seat in lieu of payment.
The Parish priest who resided in Dunmore arrived on horseback for Sunday Mass. The church grounds contained a stable for the Parish Priest's horse. One of the earlier priests to attend to the church was Canon McEvilly, brother of the Archbishop.
In 1925 Padraig O'Conaire, the great Irish Scholar is reputed to have used a stile on the grounds of the church  as a platform to address a meeting of the Gaelic Revival. Other local “gaeilgoirí” spoke also. Tom Diskin fom Curraghan sang a song "as gaeilge " . Afterwards O’ Conaire, then feeble and walking with two sticks, adjourned to Pat Reddington pub, later Walshes and now Lally’s, for a drink of whiskey and raw egg. Local folklore tells us that at one time Tom Diskin lost his place in Corohan as he was behind in his rent and was forced to share a holding in Quinaltagh. Yearning for a return to his own farm he was forced to sell his horse in Claremorris fair for £6. The proceeds allowed him to pay his arrears to the Kirwans and return to his beloved Corohan. Tom Diskin lived to the ripe old age of 108.

Gothic arched WindowGothic arched Window

Entrance doorwayEntrance doorwayThe chapel served the religious needs of the community until 1913.At this stage it was in a serious state of disrepair and unsuitable for its intended purpose. A report in the Tuam Herald in 1913 stated
There can be no question whatsoever that a new church is needed in this district most urgently. The old church in which so many generations of the parishioners have worshipped is in a most dilapidated condition. The timber in the building is rotting away, and the roof is in a dangerous state. Then again the accommodation is at all times utterly inadequate, and Sunday after Sunday nearly 200 members of the congregation are obliged to kneel outside the church during the mass, in all weathers.”

Under the direction of Canon Macken PP. Dunmore and with the blessing of Archbishop John Healy a new church was constructed across the road and the old chapel was deconsecrated in 1913. Its last official function was to host the celebration banquet at the opening of the new St. Patrick’s Church in 1913

The partial ruin of this old chapel still exists. Its interior measures 18 feet by 42 feet with walls 22inches in thickness. The outline of 6 gothic style windows is visible. They measure approximately 7 foot in height and 32 inches wide. The main doorway 5 foot in width and 10 foot high is at the northern end of the building. There is evidence of the outline of a porch at the exterior of the entrance